Tuesday 6 May 2008

"I obey the law of Christ, not the OT Law."

I believe whole-heartedly in grace. I believe that the state of my salvation has everything to do with God, and nothing to do with me. I could not possibly have any part in my salvation, since I was dead in my trespasses and sins - dead! That means I could not reach out to the Hand that saved me. I believe in grace.

But, just because I believe in grace does not mean I do not believe in the Law of God.

Too many people hold on to grace and fall into antinomianism. And on the other extreme, people fall into the Law and become legalists. Where is the balance?

I think the first question to ask is, Can the Law save us? And in order for us to answer that question, we have to ask another: Even if the Law can save us, can we keep it?

The Bible says something about that:

James 2:10 "For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it."

Where have I failed? Certainly in more than one point! I am a transgressor of the law, accountable for breaking all of it. So, how could it possibly save me? It is what condemns me!

Romans 2:1 "Therefore you have no excuse, O man, every one of you who judges. For in passing judgment on another you condemn yourself, because you, the judge, practice the very same things."

Remember the Old Testament: Moses, the representative of the Law, could not enter the Promised Land. The Law can bring us to the foot of the cross, but it cannot save us.

Our God is a God of the inward thoughts, not outward actions. He wants the heart, mind, and soul, not just our tainted law-keeping actions.

So. Does this mean we must throw away the Law, because it is of no use to us? Well, I didn't say that it was no use to us; only that it had no ability to save us. What is the Law good for?

1) It reminds us of our complete and utter state of deadness. We cannot save ourselves, because we cannot keep perfectly what the Law requires.
2) It shows us what God wishes us to do; we ought to strive for holiness. Jesus said, "Be holy, as I am holy."
3) While God sees the inward, men see the outward. We can witness through good works to others, showing them that yes; we are different. Yes; Christ means everything to me.

The Law is not a ladder to Heaven. We can't do certain things and scratch them off the list, claiming we're a little bit holier today than yesterday. The Law is a tool to confess our sins and receive Christ as our Lord and Saviour. It's all of Christ. He's the personification of the Law.

He kept the Law. This shows us of Christ's perfect righteousness; our need of His righteousness; Christ's righteousness imputed to us; and it shows us that we ought to give thanks for Christ, who graciously saved us out of our wretched state.

Grace. God's Riches at Christ's Expense.

"This is the mystery of the riches of divine grace for sinners, for by a wonderful exchange our sins are now not ours but Christ's, and Christ's righteousness is not Christ's, but ours." - Martin Luther

"We believe, that the work of regeneration, conversion, sanctification and faith, is not an act of man's free will and power, but of the mighty, efficacious and irresistable grace of God." - Charles Spurgeon

Yes. I believe in God, Who created the universe and sustains it. I believe He loved me so much that He died for me when I did not deserve it - rather deserved eternal damnation. I believe that Christ is the Redeemer, that He gave me His righteousness because I had none of my own.

I believe in Grace. And since I cannot say it well enough on my own, I'll leave you with these quotes:

"If Christ cannot supersede the Law, then I am lost, and lost for ever." - Catherine Booth
"The law works fear and wrath; grace works hope and mercy." - Martin Luther

Titus 2:11-14: "For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works."

1 comment:

By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach. ~Winston Churchill

Smart guy.