Friday 2 January 2009

2009 Resolutions

I've made some New Year's Resolutions. Wanna see? I'd appreciate reminders, too. :) Thanks.

2009 Resolutions

Read over these resolutions every Sunday. 

·         Continue Memorizing Scripture. Having the Word of God at hand is good – having it on your heart is better. Let these be my words: “Thy word have I hid in my heart…”

·         Read through ESV-SB.

·         Develop a character of helping others. Grow in grace and compassion. Let me never consider myself better than others, but consider myself the chief of sinners – seek God’s help in developing humility. Let me consider all others better than myself.

·         Develop patience. No-one is so sinful or bad that they deserve sinful wrath from another sinner. God is infinitely patient with me. How can I be any different?

·         Develop Christ-likeness. Study the gospels of Christ in order to learn better how to imitate Him.

1.  Spend time with Him. Relationships are made and fostered by the time we spend functioning within them. Spend time with your Lord in prayer and study of His Word  Reconnect through talking with the Lord of Lords. 

2.  Take obedience to the Lord seriously. The Lord's commands are made out of love for us. He laid them out in His Word so that we might best find His blessings, and to help us avoid the pitfalls of living in this world. 

3.  Recognize your sinfulness, and recommit your life to the Lord. Make a spiritual contract with the Lord. 

4.  Dive into worship. Worshiping the Lord does not have to be just singing along with the choir on Sunday. While that is good and it honors God, you can also worship Him while going for a walk in His beautiful creation, while marveling at the works He is doing around the world, or recognizing and appreciating the provision that He makes in your life. 

5.  Start to tithe. The Lord promises to provide for you and bless you when you are faithful in giving back to Him. 

6.  Start serving others. Become the hands of Christ as you serve others and allow the Lord to work through you. 

7.  Give thanks to the Lord for all the blessings that He has placed in your life. 

- From Dr. David Jeremiah

·         Prayer time - Designate prayer time and stick to it.

·         Seek God’s help in controlling temper.

·         Redeem the time – do not waste away idle hours doing nothing.

·         Let me never waste an opportunity to spread the gospel – I pray that I may have courage to step forward when the way is frightening, when all are against me. May fear of death or pain never keep me from proclaiming God’s name.

·         Let every word of my mouth, every thought from my mind, every emotion I feel, be held captive by God for His glory. In every circumstance, may I remember that I am God’s letter to this world, that I am His ambassador to this Earth. May I live like it every moment.

·         Read biographies and histories – Take the examples of faith from Christians past.

·         Read 50 theology books – and write reviews/comments to prove it.

·         Let this be the description of my life from this day forth :  Romans 12:9-21 

"Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

·         If ever I come to terrible persecution, let me not curse those who torment me, but instead follow the example of Stephen, and die praying for them.

·         Be a godly example to family and friends. May I be ever ready for God to work through me.

·         May I never be afraid to stand up for others weaker than myself. 

If I fail in any of these resolutions, let my repentance be swift, that I may once more seek to achieve these things.  Amen. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That's quite a list. I'd like to do some of them, but I'd never be able to do them all. ;) If my ESV ever makes it here (grumble, grumble) I'd like to read through it, too.

    ReplyDelete

By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach. ~Winston Churchill

Smart guy.