Tuesday 3 February 2009

Random Thoughts and Reflections

"What is Your Religion?" 

It was one of those questions in a "one word survey" on my email. It stopped me right in my tracks, because the question is more difficult to answer than it seems at first. You might think that's a funny thing to say, especially coming from such a religious bigot as myself (:P). My blog practically oozes religion all over the place. (Watch your suede shoes, that's all I have to say.)

I put in "Christianity" and you might say "well of course" but let me show you the questions that came to my mind because of that simple-seeming first question:

What is "Christianity"? 
Is what I believe a religion? Or is it something more? 
Is there a difference between a Christian and a Christ-follower? 

Answering that last one, there shouldn't be a difference. Unfortunately, our culture, even the church, has forced the difference. I remember reading something from C. S. Lewis where he said that a "gentleman" used to be a man who owned a certain amount of land, etc. Then people got sensitive (or whatever... :P), and even poor men who owned no land were called "gentlemen". The use of the word changed. The same has happened with the word "Christian". 

I can't just say nowadays "I am a Christian" without adding "of this type, I believe this and this and this specifically." 

"Christian" is such a loaded word. 

You know, I think God knew this would happen. (Go figure.) That's why God doesn't expect us or want us to sit around telling people what we are like. He wants us to show them what we are like. 

Acts 26:19-20 - "Therefore, O King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision, but declared first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and throughout all the region of Judea, and also to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, performing deeds in keeping with their repentance."

James 1:22 "But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves."

James 2:18 "But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works."

Show your faith by your works.

That leads me to another question: What type of works are we to do? 

Personally, I don't think that we should necessarily stop at good works such as helping someone out by cleaning their home, etc. etc. etc. This ministerial work, which is good, is not the complete answer, I think. (Though I do not want to negate the importance and even the privilege of serving others in such a way.) 

I believe we show our "works" by what we say, what we do, what we are passionate about, etc. 

Actions (or works) are whatever it is we are doing. We could go one step further and say we act by what we are.  

If we are whole-heartedly devoted to Christ, our lives will show it. If we are living for the glory of God, it will be as plain as if it were tattooed on our foreheads.  

Then we will be able to say, "I am a Christian". And we won't have to add "who believes such and such and such." People will see our lives and they'll know the difference. They'll know that we are Christians, even without being told. 

Because it's not really about telling people what religion you are. It's not really about putting ourselves under the banner of Christianity. It's about putting ourselves under the banner of Christ Himself. It's not about us. It's about Him. 

So, to answer the first question, I don't have a religion. I have a Saviour, my Lord Jesus Christ. 



Jesus lover of my soul
All consuming fire is in Your gaze
Jesus, I want You to know
I will follow You all my days

No one else in history is like You
History itself belongs to You
Alpha and Omega You have loved me
And I will share eternity with You

It's all about You, Jesus, and all this is for You
For Your glory and Your fame
It's not about me, as if You should do things my way
You alone are God and I surrender to Your ways

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking something similar... but in a one word survey, you can't say it with all the explanations. ;)

    But, it's a wee bit annoying. I mean, how just about everyone claims 'Christianity'...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Linda. Very convicting and encouraging.

    ReplyDelete

By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach. ~Winston Churchill

Smart guy.