Saturday 6 February 2010

As I Am Meant to Live

"If thou be yet dead, thy case is lamentable; but if thou be alive, what signs of life are there to be seen in thee?" ~ Thomas Boston, from "The Art of Manfishing"

This question from Boston is a good one. It struck me as very personal, and very applicable; even though Boston lived quite a while ago. (It's amazing to me that the same problems run through the Church over and over...'there is nothing new under the sun'...)

This quote struck home to me because it seems so often I just fall back on "being saved", not actually living for God as much as I can or as much as I should. I forgo an opportunity to share the gospel; I neglect to pray; I ignore the heavenly whispers that remind me of what I should be doing; in a sense, I act dead a lot of the time.

What signs of life are seen in you?

I feel like I should put this on a huge banner where I can see it every day. What signs of life are seen in you? Are you living for God? Are you doing as you ought?

While living by a list doesn't save you, there is more to being obedient to God than merely hearing the word. The Lord requires things of us. He requires righteousness. Holiness.
Like-Himself-ness.

Ephesians 4:1
"I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called..."

Am I walking in that manner?

I am already considered perfect by God; I am declared righteous, I am adopted.
But am I becoming who I am?




God helps us to become who we are.
He is shaping me to be exactly as He already sees me. It's amazing, it's mind-boggling; I only pray that I can show that I'm alive. Let me live like I'm alive.

2 comments:

  1. Ouch.

    You know, I've been pondering the same thing lately.

    "I want to live!!" :)

    ReplyDelete

By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach. ~Winston Churchill

Smart guy.