Thursday 27 June 2013

A tale of two giants

A Tale of Two Giants; or,
the difference between quashing dreams and inspiring them

I

I saw a giant who looked down his nose at me. 
So great was his strength, and he looked on all others as weak and worthless.
We needed no show; we knew.
We were already small.
He made us feel smaller.
He alone was great, and no others met his standard.
He snarled, "Stay below in cowering shallows whilst I ascend to the heights."
And he climbed, and was lost to us. 
No more lost than when he dwelt among us (but never truly with us). 
And the flickers inside us died away.

II

I saw a giant who smiled at me.
Great was his strength, and he bore us all up to his level.
We were small.
He made us feel grander.
He made us wish to be more than we were.
He said, "Let us go up and see what we will see, together."
And he climbed, and he held our hands.
So he led us and gave us strength by the leading.
He dwelt among us.
And the flickers inside us grew to heated flames.

1 comment:

By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach. ~Winston Churchill

Smart guy.