Tuesday 7 January 2014

Hello, 2014.

So much has changed since I last posted a blog. I'll tell you one thing that hasn't changed: I still stare at the "new blog post" blank box for about two hours before I can even write anything. I still have to get up and walk around aimlessly while trying to think of how to construct something meaningful. At least, in some senses, I am consistent. 

Meaningfulness is an idea that my mind has latched onto this year. I know a lot of men and women (including my mother) who have chosen specific words as a "theme" for the year. If I were to choose a theme word, perhaps "meaning" would be it. Specifically when it comes to meaning in worship. I may only write four blog posts in 2014 (and even that might be wishful thinking), and it's likely they will all be about the concept of worship. What is worship, and how is it meaningful? Or why isn't it meaningful, and why not?

I believe we are created to worship; specifically to worship God, to worship him for all he is because he is all that is good and right and beautiful. He is the King of creation. He is the Light of the world. We are meant to worship him, in word and deed, in songs and speech and action.

There is always a desire for more than what is - as believers we want to know God more, to know him better. We want to love what he loves. We want to bring him joy and delight. We want to serve him well. We sing "Just a closer walk with Thee" and take joy in the promise that God has provided everything we need for life and godliness. After all, he has provided us with himself.

I want this year to be meaningful. I hope to serve God in such a way that I make it meaningful to others as well. That as I draw closer to him by his mercy, so I will gather others along with me. By God's grace, may we stand together, astounded at the mercy of God. May we serve him side by side, with greater joy than we have ever known. May we know Jesus better and seek more wholeheartedly to obey his Word. May we delight in his steady and unchanging promises. May we grow in grace and in the knowledge of the Lord our Saviour, relying on him to sanctify us and conform us toward his likeness, as he has said. 

Happy 2014, my friends. May it be a year of meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach. ~Winston Churchill

Smart guy.