Thursday 20 March 2008

Reflecting at Easter-time

I am standing in the midst of many others. I do not know them; I cannot even see their faces. They all cover themselves with grime and filth - they like doing it. They are black with darkness that they keep heaping upon themselves.

I am the same. My hands dig deep into the pool of Selfish Desires, even as I sit there ready to jump in completely. I am only waiting my turn. I hear the laughter of the Prince of the power of the air, who owns my soul. I gave it to him.

A sudden bright light hurts my eyes, and I look down into the darkness, seeking to escape it. The light shines brighter, and curiosity compels me to look upward - I do so, and see Him standing over me. His hand is outstretched. "Come to me." He says.

I do not move, but His reach is long enough. He begins to pull me up. Those beside me, who ignored me while I was standing in the mire, now reach up and grip my legs with their dirty, vice-like hands - they want me to stay, to be as miserable and filthy as they are. I grip their hands too; I want to stay with them. I want to stay in the muck. It's comfortable.

I look up and see a hill before my eyes: it seems dead, the grass withered and stones littering the place. But that is not what caught my eye. Something far more sad, and yet far more beautiful in a way I cannot describe.

There is a cross upon the hill, and He is there. O, the pain He must feel! My heart winces with every weakened beat of His. He looks up and meets my gaze. "For you."

The Innocent dies. The dirty hands release me with howls of rage. They can do nothing. He Who held my hand still holds it; it is He! He lives! He is saving me from myself! The one Who was strung on the cross is the living conqueror. I look back over my shoulder, expecting the Prince to catch me and bring me back; he also howls with impotent rage - he can do nothing.
The one who holds the victory holds my soul; He will never let it go.

Now I stand at the pool of Grace and Salvation, placed there by my lovely Father, who never let me go, even when I wished Him to. I see that there are places where my sin still covers my body; but slowly these spots are being washed away by the blood of the Lamb.

What a glorious Saviour!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your comment, Linda. I appreciated the link you left. It was a very good reminder.

    ReplyDelete

By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach. ~Winston Churchill

Smart guy.