Sunday 9 August 2009

Suffering and the Sovereignty of God

"Suffering and the Sovereignty of God" by John Piper and friends is probably one of the best books I have read so far this year.

It has really been a blessing. There are nine chapters, each written by a different person, each person having gone through specific suffering, and learned something of the sovereignty of God through their particular suffering.

The neat thing about the book was that it led me to praise God, more than leading me to dwell on the theological side of things (though the book certainly was theological - and full of truth!). Because God being sovereign in suffering is an absolute truth, I can praise Him and dwell on His absolute goodness. I can trust Him in the darkest of times.

These are the chapters (reading these almost gives you a full lesson on the sovereignty of God):

1) Ten Aspects of God's Sovereignty over Suffering and Satan's Hand In It - John Piper
2) "All the Good That Is Ours In Christ": Seeing God's Gracious Hand in the Hurt Others Do To Us - Mark R. Talbot
3) The Suffering of Christ and the Sovereignty of God - John Piper
4) Why God Appoints Suffering For His Servants - John Piper
5) Sovereignty, Suffering, and the Work of Missions - Stephen F. Saint
6) The Sovereignty of God and Ethnic-based Suffering - Carl F. Ellis, Jr.
7) God's Grace and Your Sufferings - David Powlison
8) Waiting For the Morning During the Long Night of Weeping - Dustin Shramek
9) Hope...The Best of Things - Joni Eareckson Tada

I'd recommend this book to anyone.

Click here for a pdf copy.

1 comment:

  1. This post reminded me that you gave me the Jerry Bridges book, Trusting God.

    Now that I remember, I'll read it. Then I'll borrow this one.

    ReplyDelete

By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach. ~Winston Churchill

Smart guy.